Sunday, 2 April 2017

Assignment 6 Critical Review

Here's my critical review on Julia Margaret Cameron and Jane Bown


Introduction

All through this whole OCA course, which I have been working on since 2008) I have been tasked to research photographers.  Time and again I have found myself studying women photographers and have always felt that they have not been given enough recognition about the barriers that they have had to overcome on their way to recognition.  With this in mind I have chosen two women photographers that I feel deserve to be brought to the attention of all photographers as being pioneers in their own right.  They are Julia Margaret Cameron, (1815-1879) and Jane Bown (1925-2014).  Julia Margaret Cameron’s name has often arisen during my photographic studies and I am aware of the many difficulties that women in the 19th century faced when they tried to step out of the normal duties expected of their class.  Also, I am particularly interested in Jane Bown, as my submissions have been likened to her work over the years.  I find this immensely pleasing, as, before I started at Photography Level 2, I had never heard of her.


Section 1 – Julia Margaret Cameron

Julia Margaret Cameron was born in Calcutta when her father was employed by the East India Company.  It was unusual for women of that era to take up photography, as it would be extremely expensive. Julia married Charles Hay Cameron in 1835 and became a leading society hostess in Calcutta.
There was much said about Cameron that she started photography in her late 40s after being given a camera by her daughter to give her an interest once her family had grown up.  In fact, according to the V&A museum, Cameron took photographs as a hobby well before then but only began serious photography when she was 48 and given the said camera.  I’ve tried to find out what camera she used but have only managed to glean that it would have been a standard plate camera, which produced albumen prints from wet collodion glass negatives.  One interesting fact gleaned from the V&A website was that she didn’t mind making mistakes in the processing and thought they added to her portraits.  In fact she turned her mistakes into her signature style as she became more accomplished.  Initially Julia used her family and friends as subjects (including Alfred Lord Tennyson) and developed a fairy like quality to her images.  In 1865 Julie exhibited her work, which was like Marmite – loved or hated – in Scotland, Berlin and Dublin but some judges dismissed her work for its technical deficiencies and unconventionality.
Cameron moved to the Isle of Wight (Dimbola Lodge) in 1860 when her daughter died in childbirth and abandoned exhibitions concentrating more on selling portraits and allegories.   In 1875 the Camerons emigrated to Ceylon to be with their coffee-farming sons but she did very little photography during her later years.  She died in 1879 after a short illness.
I find her portraits rather fanciful and unrealistic when they illustrate fairy tales and parables.  I admire the amount of dedication needed to create images in the early days of photography as each individual plate had to be prepared separately.  It was usual to prepare only about 5 or 6 plates for use at a single sitting.

Guardian newspaper article, 22 October 2015, Available at https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/sep/22/julia-margaret-cameron-victorian-portrait-photographer-exhibitions, accessed 21 March 2017.

YouTube video on Julia Margaret Cameron, March 2016, available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ya7XWByKks , accessed 21 March 2017

YouTube video on Masters in Photography Julia Margaret Cameron, Sep 25, 2008, available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqnVLwRagbs, accessed 21 March 2017


Section 2 - Jane Bown

Since I became aware of Jane Bown I have researched her work and obtained copies of some of her books from my local library.  She worked for 6 decades mainly for the Guardian and Observer and took pictures of all the notable individuals during that time. 
One interesting fact was that Jane studied at Guildford College of Art in the 1960s and I actually taught at the college, now known as Guildford College of Further Education from 1999-2009, although in the computing/photography department.
I was very interested to read her quote from her book “A Lifetime of Looking”, Bown J. (15 Oct 2015) Guardian Faber Publishing; that ‘some people take pictures, I find them’.  Jane’s images are mainly formal that allow the viewer to identify with them.  Many times I’ve looked at images by ‘famous photographers’ that completely remove the person from what would show their real personality.  Jane says, in her book, that she’s a ‘one-shot photographer and always has been’. 
Jane always used black and white film but was expected to change to colour pictures in the 1960s but never really enjoyed the change as printing all her own work, she felt that there was no control over coloured images.  During my level 1 work in Portraiture my tutor compared some of my work to that of Jane’s. When I explored her work I had to agree that it was in a similar genre to her’s.  Having watched the YouTube interview with ITV News broadcaster Jon Snow she gave some insights into how she approached her work. ITN News (March 2016); Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySDJe-mz2WU (Accessed: 3 March 2017).  One comment she made was that she often found the first shot or the last shot was her most successful one.
I find her portraits especially fascinating when subjects are looking directly at the camera.  This makes for a very strong image and even with her image entitled ‘Teddy Bear Exhibition’ in 1979 she had the bears staring at the camera.  It can be very difficult to catch that exact moment that makes the image and Jane captures the moment time and again.  Even her own self-portrait had her looking straight at the camera holding her own favourite camera. 

Websites:
YouTube video on Masters in Photography Julia Margaret Cameron, Mar 17, 2015, available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySDJe-mz2WU&t=13s, accessed 21 March 2017


Section 3 - Areas of comparison between Julia Margaret Cameron and Jane Bown
When it comes down to comparing these two women photographers initial complications come from the fact that they worked in different centuries – Julia in the 19th century and Jane in the 20th century.  Julia worked with cameras and glass slides at the beginning of photography and Jane was able to take advantage of both 120 and 35mm roll film, which was invented in the beginning of the 20th century.  Julia would have had to create her own collodion glass slides which could be highly dangerous whilst Jane would have bought film from a local dealer and either processed it herself or taken it to a commercial processor.
Another subtle difference between the two women was that Julia was self-taught at home whilst Jane attended Guildford College of Art (after service in the Wrens during WW2) and was taught by her tutor Ifor Thomas.  He advised her to create a portfolio of her work to submit to London agencies and she hawked it round to gain professional work.
Although Julia had dabbled in photography at home she only started working professionally at the age of 48 with a plate camera given to her by her daughter.  Jane initially used a twin lens Rolleiflex camera but her favourite was an Olympus camera with an 85mm lens, and she invariably set it at a shutter speed of 1/60th of a second with the aperture at f2.8.   Whilst Julia worked mainly in her studio (nicknamed the glass house) and had unlimited time to set up her portraits, Jane had to be able to work using natural light and a limited amount of time to ‘get’ her portraits.  Jane had the uncanny knack of finding the punctum (an object or image that jumps out at the viewer within a photograph) in her portraits and reportage work.  Not only was Jane well known for her portrait work she was also renowned for her street photography work.
Julia stayed with her glass plate system whilst Jane would have had the benefit of progress in photography and having used black and white film for most of her working life, was asked to transfer to colour film in the 1960s when film became more satisfactory.  Although she used colour film in some of her work, she had a distinct preference for black and white film.  When digital cameras were developed in the 1990s Jane felt it was time to retire as she felt it was not an acceptable alternative to her beloved Olympus film cameras.
Whilst it would seem that working in the 20th/21st century in photography was easier than the 19th century, the bottom line was really did the photographer have a ‘good eye’ for composing an acceptable image?  While anyone can learn the rules to basic picture design, it comes down to the individual.  Whilst Bown’s photographs were sought after and her skills were in demand until she retired, Julia’s portraits and illustrated legends were either loved or hated.  While she was learning she had a tendency to be careless with her processing and considered it an extra to the image whilst other people felt it was unacceptable.



Conclusion
I must admit to being grateful that I live in the 21st century when it comes to photography after researching the obstacles that photographers had to overcome in both the 19th and 20th centuries.  Whilst I wasn’t around during the initial development of image making with the likes of Henry Fox Talbot and Julia Margaret Cameron, I took up film photography in the 1960s and have carried on photographing since.  In the 1990s, once digital cameras became available and their quality improved enough to compare with film scans, I moved to digital cameras and Photoshop software and have continued since.
Once I had received tuition in the basics of developing film and printing images I had my own darkroom in my loft, freezing in winter and boiling hot in summer but it taught me how to control my development and printing.  Like Julia Margaret Cameron I had my own problems with processing images including simple mistakes such as fingernail marks on prints.    I should imagine that Jane Bown had also processed her own images from her initial tuition at the Guildford College of Art but I haven’t been able to find out whether she had to carry on or had her films processed commercially when she worked for the Observer. 
One thing I think I would have found strange is having an unlimited amount of time to produce pictures to my own specification.  Cameron was in such a position as, coming from a well to do household where her main duties would be that of managing a household with servants to assist, would be able to devote as much time as she wanted ordering her models (family and friends) to produce her masterpieces.  I understand she wasn’t above ordering visitors to Dimbola Lodge to partake in her ethereal studies whether they wanted to or not.  Watching the BBC 4 iPlayer programme ‘ Britain in Focus: a Photographic History’, commentated by Eamonn McCabe, he describes the wet collodion process and how, when the silver nitrate solution was added to the paper negative, the photographer had a very short time to take the picture.

Jane Bown would have had a completely different attitude towards her photography, as she was required to travel, at short notice, and with little time to prepare herself to get a unique image of her subject.  Very often she had as few as 10 minutes to ‘get’ her pictures, as she would be accompanied by a journalist to interview the subject as the same time.  Jane preferred to take her images by natural light and would organise the subject to be lit by a nearby window.  By dint of hard work Jane was in demand, as people knew she would be thorough and quick but at the same time was able to produce an unusual image that covered her brief.
I worked for British Airways from 1986-1998 when I was a part time photographer commissioned for photo opportunities in my sections including cargo, flight crew and cabin crew, not as paparazzi photographing well known people coming and going through the passenger terminals.  I was called upon to work quickly and efficiently as most people had little time for ‘sitting round’ waiting for me to set up.  It taught me to scope out the location in advance and make quick decisions to get a good image.
It’s been extremely interesting researching these two women from different centuries. I found that, as I’ve mentioned before, my work seems to emulate Jane’s style.  Having studied her quiet but insightful ways of working I find that my photography has improved immeasurably.







Bibliography
Newspaper article
Guardian newspaper article, 22 October 2015, Available at https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/sep/22/julia-margaret-cameron-victorian-portrait-photographer-exhibitions, accessed 21 March 2017.

Websites
YouTube video on Julia Margaret Cameron, March 2016, available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ya7XWByKks , accessed 21 March 2017

YouTube video on Masters in Photography Julia Margaret Cameron, Sep 25, 2008, available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqnVLwRagbs, accessed 21 March 2017

BBC4 iPlayer, Britain in Focus: a Photographic History’, Series 1: Episode 3, shown 6 Mar 2017, available at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08k0srb/britain-in-focus-a-photographic-history-series-1-episode-3, accessed 23 March 2017

YouTube interview with ITV News broadcaster Jon Snow, ITN News shown March 2016, Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySDJe-mz2WU Accessed: 3 March 2017. 

Julia Margaret Cameron biography, V & A museum, available at http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/julia-margaret-cameron/julia-margaret-cameron-biography/ accessed 21 March 2017.

Books
Amanda Hopkinson, 1986, Julia Margaret Cameron, Virago Pioneers,

Jane Bown, Exposures, Guardian Books; 22 Oct. 2009

Jane Bown: A Lifetime of Looking Hardcover, Guardian Books, Oct 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment