Wednesday, 8 March 2017

Preparing my critique for assignment 6


I’ve always dreaded the critical review and shied away from it until the last minute.  This time I’ve decided to approach it in a more realistic way, reading the book suggested by my tutor – ‘A Short Guide to Writing about Art’, 10th edition; Sylvan Barnet, Tufts University; 2011.  One thing I will mention is that whenever I am recommended to read a book on theory I find the print is in grey and such a small font it gets harder to read as you go along. 
The main chapter of this books seems to be Chapter 8 How to write an effective essay where you are advised to construct a basic strategy before approaching a first draft.  It also suggests that if you are reading essays, catalogues or other from ‘secondary sources’ don’t just highlight or photocopy, actually take brief notes.  It suggests that you make notes on post cards and then arrange them in a logical order.  Get it down on paper, keep looking and thinking,   Revise, edit and after a suitable interval, again revise then edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment